Packages cyclical lock - proper update procedure?

Hi! So, somehow i am stuck with the eos version without any possibility of recovery:

---> Package eos-xrootd.x86_64 0:4.11.3-1.el7.cern will be updated
--> Processing Dependency: eos-xrootd = 4.11.3 for package: eos-server-4.7.7-1.el7.cern.x86_64
--> Processing Dependency: eos-xrootd = 4.11.3 for package: eos-client-4.7.7-1.el7.cern.x86_64
--> Processing Dependency: eos-xrootd = 4.11.3 for package: eos-fuse-core-4.7.7-1.el7.cern.x86_64
---> Package eos-xrootd.x86_64 0:4.12.3-1.el7.cern will be an update
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Package: eos-server-4.7.7-1.el7.cern.x86_64 (@eos-citrine)
           Requires: eos-xrootd = 4.11.3
           Removing: eos-xrootd-4.11.3-1.el7.cern.x86_64 (@eos-citrine-dep)
               eos-xrootd = 4.11.3-1.el7.cern
           Updated By: eos-xrootd-4.12.3-1.el7.cern.x86_64 (eos-citrine-dep)
               eos-xrootd = 4.12.3-1.el7.cern

but the actual eos update cannot be done because :

[root@mgm ~]# yum update eos-server eos-fuse-core  eos-fuse eos-client eos-testkeytab eos-rocksdb eos-fuse-sysv
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, priorities, protectbase
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
 * elrepo: mirrors.netix.net
 * elrepo-extras: mirrors.netix.net
 * elrepo-kernel: mirrors.netix.net
8 packages excluded due to repository priority protections

what is the proper procedure for eos update? should i remove everything and reinstall from scratch?
Thank you!

Hi Adrian,

I think we’ve discussed something very similar recently. The eos-server version is bound to a particular version of eos-xrootd. In this particular case there was a new eos-xrootd package released 4.12.3 but this is not compatible to your installed version of eos-server-4.7.7. Therefore, yum is actually protecting you from using (possibly) incompatible versions of packages.

As far as eos-server is concerned there is no new version in the repository that you are connecting to, therefore you are not stuck at all. Once a new version will be available, it will most likely target the new eos-xrootd version (4.12.3).

Therefore, this is not the kind of process that you would like to happen automatically, so it’s a good idea to exclude any “eos-*” related packages from the daily update. Once you decide to do an update you can for example run the following command:
yum update "eos-*" --exclude="eos-xrotod" if the eos-xrootd dependency does not change or just simply yum update "eos-*" if the eos-xrootd dependency changes.

Hope this helps,
Elvin

oh, now i get it!! my expectation was that if there is an updated eox-xrootd it means that there is also an new eos package, and my problem was that why the the eos package is not resolved and updated. i could just not compile that only one item from a set of version locked items could be updated :grin: :grin: :grin:
now it’s clear, thanks a lot!